Wednesday, October 12, 2011

BELLA SWAN, ANNOYING

One of the most simple of issues that I have with Twilight is the absolute dislike that I have for Bella, its narrator and protagonist. There is much more to this, though, because I have disliked plenty of fictional characters in my time. In Atonement, for example, Briony Tallis makes my skin crawl with disgust, but I absolutely understand and respect why her character is there. Obviously, I don't like Scar in Disney's The Lion King or the Joker, but again, they are crucial to the plot of their respective stories. I feel that I cannot respect the ways in which Stephenie Meyer has employed this character of Bella--she is sad and pathetic and, as I am learning on this third time through the text, she's actually a mean girl.

Her negativity irks me, and I think it's alarming that as a female reader, I'm supposed to want and feel as though I may easily put myself in the shoes of this "plain Jane" and understand her. I don't and I won't.


I thought I'd share some passages from the first chapter of Twilight that I just couldn't help but mark. These are Bella's thoughts as she enters a new school where she knows no one. This is supposed to be many students' first impression of her. You tell me if this is how you act when you're trying to make friends.

On entering the building: "I can do this, I lied to myself feebly" (14).
On receiving attention from a teacher: "...of course I flushed tomato red. But at least he sent me to an empty desk at the back without introducing me to the class" (15).
On getting directions from a friendly boy: "He looked like the overly helpful, chess club type" "I smiled tentatively" "Definitely over-helpful" "I sighed...A few months of this and I'd forget how to use sarcasm" "Eric walked me right to the door, though it was clearly marked" (16-17).
On having to introduce herself to the class: "I stammered, blushed, and tripped over my own boots on the way to my seat" (17).
On seeing a pretty girl in the cafeteria: "She had a beautiful figure...the kind that made every girl around her take a hit on her self-esteem just by being in the same room" (18).
On learning that she must take PE: "Forks was literally my personal hell on Earth" (26).

And that's just Chapter One. This is our heroine, ladies. The belle of the ball. We're supposed to not just like this girl, but connect with her, in some way, on a personal level. We're supposed to understand her and see ourselves in her. Someone, please tell me how this is done. Until then, I'll be reading and underlining.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a fantastic idea! I'm sure you'll get some negative feedback, but you can safely assume that it's from a prepubescent ooze of a human.

    On that note, I sent a critical note to Glamour regarding their choice of interviewers - Stephenie Meyer. Barf.

    "DON'T: Stephenie Meyer. I appreciate that she is a successful female author; however, "Twilight" is a novel that encourages domestic abuse. Edward's stalking of Bella, his violent history, and his need to control her? After feature stories regarding the detection and prevention of harmful behaviors, I'm shocked that Glamour would recommend it. I know it's fictional, but it resonates with many young girls - our sisters and daughters. At best, "Twilight" portrays adolescent girls as smart-yet-defenseless women who must be rescued by men. For a progressive magazine who willingly features womanly shapes or openly discusses the racial ambiguity of the American media, we also applaud the enforcement of gender roles? No thanks."

    :)

    XOXO, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can connect with blushing, stammering, and tripping over my own feet not only when introducing myself to the class, but WHENEVER I have to stand--not speak, but just stand--in front of the class.

    ReplyDelete